Listening to the World

So what do you do after a week of sitting on your duff?

Well I did not sit on my duff but I did relax quite a bit.  I have to say it was the best way to wind down the last week of summer.

Oh the heat will still be here, true.  But school starts tomorrow and that always seems to bring on a very busy sense of the day.  Even when you no longer have kiddos in school.  I guess living just down the block from the school does that to me.


Glass of wine
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I have tipped my wine glass and soaked in the (un) hot tub while listening to stories being read to me.  Is there anything you can think of that would be better?  Okay, a hunky guy to rub my shoulders would have been nice.

But I have to say it was so soothing to be read too.  Well on CD at least.  I am not lucky enough to have personal servants yet.  (As IF!)  A Hundred Flowers was read by Simon Vance (a silky voice to say the least) and was written by Gail Tsukiyama.  In 1957 Chairman Mao of China declared "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend."  This was to open up an new way of thought or so many believed.  But in the Ying family it was looked at with skepticism.  The story goes on sharing the struggles, courage and grace that pull this family together in a powerful story.

I moved on to Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks and ready by Matthew Brown.  (See how nice it is to have men read to you.)  Here Budo the imaginary friend to Max has had an active life.  Protecting Max from the hurt and pain that school life causes the majority of us.  I know that making friends is often the hardest thing we ever learn to do.  My first friend was not til 5th grade.  I do not remember having an imaginary friend but I always had my books with me and they were like friends.  Creating a barrier and safe environment I could retreat to.   Max has enjoyed that same arena with Budo.  But it all comes undone when he is kidnapped by his Special-Ed teacher.  You will love hearing how he comes out of this.  But doe Budo come out too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!