Washer Woman

Ok I know I am way way behind on the mom blogger to do list. But I finally made my own laundry soap. I thought heck yeah, invest $10 and have enough product to make 60 gallons of soap. Not bad. That is .03 cents an ounce. Not bad huh?  And with all the laundry I do around here that is a savings.  I already hang my clothes on the line to dry.  That also saves money, gives me stretching exercises and makes the clothes smell great.

So I was wondering the down falls?  Not bad honestly.  I used a cat litter bucket to mix and store it in.  Now my issue here is it is only a 4 gallon bucket and the recipe makes 10 gallons of soap.  So I plan on mixing it up in my laundry jug 1/2 soap and 1/2 water.  Not exact but will work I bet.

Also I thought it would be hard to grate the soap.  So I sat up with my grater, soap and watching the Nate Berkus Show.  But that did not help. Was so easy to grate that I only watched a commercial segment instead.  Dang it!

I heated water in my big pots and tea pots too.  Mixed, stirred and poured into the ol bucket.  And now I am waiting for it to cool and 'gel'.  I plan on splitting this up with The Other Mother.  Princess Emma has allergies to perfumes and dyes.  We think this is a good solution to take care of that for her.  She did the run to the store to get the ingredients for us.  That was a 60 mile round trip (thankfully she had things to do there) that I hate to make.  And another friend of mine that I was telling about this yesterday.  We are going to split the cost by 1/3 each so the investment was all of $3.33 each for 20 gallons of laundry soap.  Dang that is good!  I will grate, cook and mix more as we need it.

Oh on a side note, if you can not find Washing Soda look at Alice.com.  They have it for $2.99 for 55 oz.  Pretty dang good deal.  Have to order 6 items (all great prices) and they ship for free.

Hot water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 Soap bar

* Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
* Fill a 10 gallon pail half full of hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing soda, stir well until all powder is dissolved. Top the pail up with more hot water.
* Use 1 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

6 comments:

  1. I made it and loved it but dear hubby works on way too many greasy things so I have to use Tide with bleach on his clothes so I only use it on all the blankets and towels that I use. It is definitely cheap. I have also seen it used as a powder but was wondering how it dissolved in the washer if you use cold water. I also posted a recipe from Lehmans hardware that you can make dishwasher detergent on my facebook page. Here is the link from Lehmans. http://www.facebook.com/lehmanshardware/posts/191935580850475

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? This really works? It gets all the dirt out of the clothes? BANG ON AWESOME!!!!!

    I noticed in your first comment, LoveMy2Dogs mentioned DISHWASHER detergent. We are always running out on that. That is going to be awesomelly COOL too!!!

    Yes,I know. I'm in nerd mode. But this is truly fantastic!!!

    p.s. it also makes me wonder why the hell I never thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also make homemade dish soap

    Homemade Dish Soap Recipe #2

    This version takes a little longer to make, but is even more frugal

    * 1/4 cup soap flakes or soap shavings (any bar soap will do)
    * 2 cups water
    * 1 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar

    Get out a sturdy sauce pan. Pour the water and soap fakes in and slowly heat it over medium heat. Stir the mixture and keep heating it until all the soap flakes melt into the water. DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil. Turn down the heat if needed.

    Allow the soap mixture to cool a bit, then stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Keep it sitting in the pot until it is completely cooled, then pour it into an old dish soap bottle.

    With either of these two homemade dish soap recipes you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to make them smell better. I find that if I use the lemon juice, I don’t need the essential oil. Bottled lemon juice works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how does it do in front loaders? what is the dry version?

    thanks for the dish soap recipes too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Save where we can, right? I did not mind the trip at all and sooo glad we could do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynette - I totally like the powdered version ... Its so easy.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!