Fun Getting Fit

Dear Hubby and I ran away for the weekend. Thanks to very lil prompting from June Cleaver Nirvana and the DFW Bloggers. We were invited to the Nintendo/American Heart Association Blogger party held at the Las Colinas Four Seasons Hotel.

We woke early Saturday morning, dressed in our comfy clothes.  (For me that was The Girls Yoga Pants  These pants absolutely ROCK OUT.)  Gassed up the car and took off on our 3 hour trip to the metroplex.  Arriving early enough to visit with a good friend for breakfast before hitting the hotel.  Lovely service at the front door and roaming around the hotel for a bit of being lost.  We finally found the party we was looking for.  I have to say that the Nintendo group was a fit and very friendly group of pretty girls.  We had our lil buttons with our fitness score on it.  I will say Dear Hubby was a 7.1 while I beat him at 8.5.  I have to put that in because it was a day of competition.  Friendly but still seeing who could win at each game.
 Wii Sports Resort
We jumped right into playing.  Having a start with our favorite game of bowling.  I was winning so amazing that DH had us change games.  Actually we gave up the game to another couple and looked around a bit.  It was so much fun to see people flapping their arms as if they were flying, running in place like they were riding a bike and marching like the majorette of a big band.   I know we all looked silly but was laughing too much to really worry what anyone else thought.  Next DH and I challenged each other with Wii Sports Resort.  Starting off with wake boarding and then popping on over to fencing.  I loved that I got him (DH) twice to him getting me once.  We moved over to Wii Sports and boxing next.  Two KO's and DH was out
of the game.  Yeah!  I did it again.  I loved the moving all around and having such physical fun.  I challenged DH in a jog on Wii Fit next.  He did his jog but I got it in a lil faster.  Can you tell I am competitive?   By the way, Dear Hubby did beat me two days in a row with Slug Bug game.  So he is winning at something.

The AHA hosted our lunch (yeah! it was not beef!) and introduced us to Hank Wasiak.  He was a great speaker helping us know to focus on the positive in life.  Asset based thinking is the way to say that.  He and Kathryn D. Cramer, Ph.D wrote Change The Way You See Everything-Through Asset-Based Thinking.  It is a great attention getting book to help you see life not as half full or half empty but more what is in your life.  (Thanks Hank for that mental picture.)  He also introduced us to S.O.S......no not help.  But to think of Self, Others and Situations.  Looking at how to see how we can be happier by seeing the good in each area.

The AHA also told us of the Simple 7.  Have you heard about that?  It is 7 steps to a healthier heart.  Now this is dear to us since DH has had heart value replacement and a pacemaker put in.  Granny M did her stints in her heart not too long ago too.  I am in good shape but want to stay that way.  You should know the simple 7 too.


  • Get Active-engage in regular physical activity
  • Control Cholesterol-take charge of your cholesterol levels
  • Eat Better-are you eating a healthy diet?
  • Manage Blood Pressure-up? down? what do you need to do?
  • Lose Weight-remember we all lose weight differently, have you done genetic testing?
  • Manage Blood Sugar-keep your blood sugar or glucose at healthy levels.
  • Stop Smoking-just Don't smoke!

Well we are getting more active thanks to Wii as one of the ways to get moving.  I watch our diet pretty close.  DH has stopped smoking but does have medication for his blood pressure and cholesterol.  I am hoping to work more on that.  I need to continue to lose weight and battle this daily.  But our blood sugar levels are doing well.  I know that my next game desire is the Wii Fit Plus.   Think I will get it for Christmas? 

We also was able to visit with Professional NutritionTherapists of Dallas while we were at lunch.  Donna Israel shared with us a recipe for Cherry-Pecan Granola.  Since I am a big oatmeal fan I was thrilled to add this to my morning meal.  Now I can have it with yogurt and have a energizing meal.  Try it and see if you like it too.



Cherry-Pecan Granola

2 Cups rolled oats
3/4 Cups coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 Cup pure maple syrup
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 Tsp salt
1/3 Cup dried cherries



Mix all and stir until evenly coated.  Spread the oat mixture evenly onto a baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.  Allow the mixture to cool for 15 minutes.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  You can make this granola with any combination of chopped nuts and dried fruits you like or happen to have on hand.  Granola is great with milk or yogurt for breakfast or as an energizing snack.  You can even add strawberries, raspberries or blueberries for an extra treat. 





1 comment:

  1. My favorite part was watching you and your husband box! Tooo cute.

    Loved that you could make it.

    Hope to see ya again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!