Comanche Stew


This last week we had visitors to our lil country town. I was quite impressed by this group of people. They were the Texas Chapter of the American EX POW's. And they choose our community to have their Mid Winter Convention. Since my DH is commander of the local AmVets Post 43 we were invited to visit with these folks. You would expect some crusty ol' men to tell "war" stories. Wrong! We had the largest group of grandpa's and grandma's I have got to visit with. The worst war story was why Ms. Ruby had to give up her car due to an accident.

I have been a long time fan of senior citizen centers. I feel I just fit in there better than I should. Love to hold the hand of a friend and share the day to day lives they have lived. And you never have to worry about how to do something. They have all the remedies. Well this bunch was no different. Seeing the bright eyes that shine out love. To know this group had went through some of the worst times in life and they came out with so much love. It was a testimony to the human spirit.

We had a lovely lunch hosted by our local chamber of commerce. And they made a stew that just melted in your mouth. Even handed out recipe cards with it on there. I asked and they said I could share it with all of y'all. So you know I am! Enjoy!


Comanche Stew

1 fat hen 4 to 5 lbs
2 lbs beef stew meat
1/2 lb of salt pork
1/4 lb butter (please not Crisco or margarine)
1 large or 2 small cans of tomatoes (I used 3 large diced fresh tomatoes myself)
1 1/2 lb 'tators diced up
1 can of corn
1 can of sweet peas

Cut the chicken and beef into small pieces and put in a pot or cooker with plenty of water (or other suitable liquid) and cook til tender. Keep plenty of water in there. Add remaining ingredients. Stir and cook slowly til meat becomes pieces and falls off bones. Season with salt and black and red pepper. (also remove bones from stew if any) Serve with plenty of crackers, bread, rolls and creamy butter.

In the early 1900's when everyone traveled to the reunion by horse and buggy, this stew was served for supper on a Saturday evening. An older recipe called for 2 rabbits and 3 squirrels. It was prepared in a cast iron wash pot over the open fire. The Sunday meal would consist of bar-b-que beef or goat.

This was submitted by William Cunningham to the
Comanche Chamber of Commerce.

1 comment:

  1. that sounds delightful!~!! i bookmarked this post... next time im in the mood to make beef stew, i will be making it commanche style!

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!