|1||cup||Butter or margarine|
|1 1/2||tsp||Baking powder|
|2 1/2||cup||All-purpose flour|
|1/4||tsp||any flavor of extract you would like to use|
| || ||Several drops different colors of Food coloring|
- Beat butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and baking powder and beat till combined. Beat in egg and vanilla till combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough into three equal portions. Add extract and one of the food coloring to one portion; mix till combined and set aside. Add another food coloring to the next portion. Repeat last step with last food coloring; mix till combined and set aside. Cover dough and chill at least 1 hour or till easy to handle.
- Roll each color into logs. The lay each one beside each other.
- Next gently twist the logs into a long swirl,
- Wrap rolls of dough in freezer paper.
- Store in freezer up to 6 months. For easier slicing, let rolls of dough thaw in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.
- Divide sugar up into 3rds. Mix each with one color of food coloring. Stir til color is complete through out.
- To bake: Slice rolls into 1/4-inch thick slices. Placing the colored sugars in rows next to each other on a plate. Take each cookie and roll it through the colored sugar so it has all three colors on the edges.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 F oven about 8 minutes or till dough just begin to brown.
- Remove cookies; cool on wire racks.
- Makes about 60.