Angels, Mice, Dolls n' Pumpkins

I am just like everyone else and getting ready for Christmas.  Planning gifts for each and everyone of them.  How about you?  Do you know what you need to do yet?  Well maybe a few of the things I have picked out for the grandbabes will help you out too.

  THE LITTLEST ANGEL, a brand new animated feature length film from Anchor Bay, is one of my picks for a Christmas gifts for the grandbabes.  It was released on  DVD shelves for the first time on November 15th!   THE LITTLEST ANGEL takes us on a rousing adventure with a young and sometimes mischievous Angel who must return to earth and earn his wings, a task that doesn’t prove to be easy.  Do you remember reading this one to your lil ones?  I do. It's a perfect holiday film to get your whole family into the spirit of the season!  From the classic book by Charles Tazewell, comes this lively CGI animated version filled with both humor and heart.  Tazewell’s book was adapted into a TV musical in 1969 starring Johnny Whitaker. The author would follow-up with another childhood favorite, "The Littlest Snowman," that would be read annually on the “Captain Kangaroo” show.  I so remember watching "Captain Kangaroo".  It’s a modern twist on the timeless tale of an Angel that discovers the greatest gifts in life are faith, friendship and doing the right thing. This new version of The Littlest Angel features wonderful animation and great vocal talent, including Ron Perlman (I loved him in “Beauty and The Beast), and is sure to become a holiday favorite, much like the book it’s based on. 




Another of my choices is the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Space Adventure.  This is perfect for my middle grandson as it is for the 2 to 5 years of age range.  It invites young viewers to discover outer space and use their problem- solving skills while they watch. In this specific adventure, Mickey and pals head to space where they tour the Moon, Mars and the Rings of Saturn as well as meet new alien friends while on the hunt for a unique space treasure.  He has loved all the other Mickey Mouse Clubhouse shows that I have given him.  So it is nice to add one more to his collection.  Don't you love being able to give quality wholesome entertainment to your kiddos?  I know I do.  My favorite character has always been Minnie, but I am sure it is due to her pretty pink bow.  

And for the Granddaughter you ask?  Well I have the best as it is something that I have a hard time finding.  
Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and Their New Skates- Updated Edition with Paperdolls included.  Yeah, you heard me right.  Paperdolls!  I love the story set in Sweden on Christmas.  For the first time in over thirty years, this classic holiday tale returns, in a deluxe hardcover edition.  I had this same story when I was a lil girl.  My Grandmother was always sending me books and paperdolls.  So to have this together brings back wonderful memories for me.  Longtime fans of the series will delight in revisiting the story, and new readers will find fun and excitement as the girls must save their friend Bertie after an ice-skating disaster.  Maj Lindman (Mrs. Maj Lindman Hulten) lived in Stockholm, Sweden (1886-1972). She attended the Royal Academy of Arts in Stockholm, and also studied art in Paris, France.  And her illustrations were so perfect of the time period.   She wrote and illustrated numerous children's books, but she is best known for her delightful tales of triplet girls Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka and their boy counterparts, Snipp, Snapp, and Snurr.  Did you ever read these?  


I also want to add in Macmillan Young Listeners' Book and CD set collection, Helen Cooper's ultimately endearing tale of friendship between a Cat, Squirrel, and a Duck: PUMPKIN SOUP.  This one makes me think of my own Vanilla Pumpkin Soup that I make.  And how it all comes together best when we are working on it together.  I think the grandbabes will enjoy this as part of our Thanksgiving holiday.  Cooper's luscious illustrations merge beautifully with this musical and animated narration, read by Kathleen McInerney.

This is a great read-along; perfect for a bedtime story and for learning the simple values of friendship and sharing. Deep in the woods in an old white cabin, three friends make their pumpkin soup the same way every day. The Cat slices up the pumpkin, the Squirrel stirs in the water, and the Duck tips in just enough salt. But one day the Duck wants to stir instead, and then there is a horrible squabble, and he leaves the cabin in a huff.   Does this sound like your household?  I know the kiddos love their routine and when it is upset life is hard to get back in balance.  It isn't long before the Cat and the Squirrel start to worry about him and begin a search for their friend. Rendered in pictures richly evoking autumn, Helen Cooper's delightful story will resonate for a child who has known the difficulties that come with friendship. Included at the end is a recipe for delicious pumpkin soup.  It is just not the same as mine....but delicious just the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!