Work Set Aside for Fantasy

Today has been an ever productive day.  I actually lazed around til 7 a.m.  That is an extra 3 hours sleep from my normal schedule.  So I was ready to start my day.  First off I peeled, blended and bagged up 60 bananas for this falls Banana Bread baking.  I put 3 blended bananas in a bag then freeze them til I am ready to bake.  For the family reunion I used my regular recipe but added a handful of coconut and 1/2 a small jar of maraschino cherries.  Titled it my Hawaiian Bread too.


Red velvet cake mixed with cream cheese frosti...
Cake mixed with frosting, rolled and dipped in white chocolate.  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

After that I finished up making cake balls from a full sheet cake.  It was originally half white and half chocolate cake.   Our sweet niece brought it for the birthdays and anniversaries that were the same week of the reunion.  Sadly with all of the home made desserts it was not really dug into.  So I used it to make cake balls.  With the white cake half I added in Duncan Hines Frosting Creations mix in of Mint Chocolate.  It added both the flavor and a mint green color.  I left the chocolate cake as is.  Mashed them all up, rolled into balls and stuck them in the freezer.  This fall I will dip them into chocolate or almond bark to use in a holiday party dessert.  Not much goes to waste around here.

Followed up this with some laundry and a lunch date with JD, Nessa and Granny M.  Then some time finding car parts since I had a lil boo boo with the signal switch.  A lil more laundry out on the line to dry and finally time to spend with y'all.  Oh it feels good to sit and chat with a good friend.  When was the last time you spent just chatting with your friends?  What did you talk about?  Me?  Well this weekend with the family reunion I did a lot of chatting.  And yes, about books.  We have several readers and we tend to do a book swap when we get together.  

I have one that I am wanting to share with Ashley across the street from me.  She is a big reader (I love that!) and is fixing to turn 13.  I am going to give her Children of Angels as part of her birthday present.  This is perfect for the tween/teen reader.  It is a great balance between teen life of fitting in and fantasy of what if?  The popular books of magic and fantasy can take a nod to Kathryn Dahlstrom who has done a wonderful blend Christian beliefs while bringing in the fantasy (the what if) life.  While I did not quite buy the idea of becoming an angel, I do see where it is a good way of fantasizing how one could escape some of the day to day struggles.  As a teen I did that a lot, dreaming of things that just are not within reach but would be amazing to experience.  I guess we all do that one way or another every day.

“Not my iPod!” Jeremy Lapoint’s day plunges to record lows when Sid Lundahl and his crew stomp the only nice thing he owns-and Jeremy gets in trouble for fighting. With Dad in prison and Mom struggling to scrape by, Jeremy’s life seems hopeless.

Until he has this urge to … fly.

One leap and Jeremy soars through the air. With this and his other new-found powers, life is suddenly amazing, wonderful. Until a real-live demon chases him through the school hallways, terrifying him and making him a freak to his schoolmates. He’s the only one who can see the monster. Jeremy wonders if the flying thing’s worth it.

But during the chase, Asiel, Jeremy’s guardian angel, wields his sword and battles off the demon. Later Asiel explains that Jeremy’s a Nephilim: half human and half angel. Jeremy’s shocked. His quest to uncover how he got like this sends him to the Higher Humanity Institute where he meets other Nephilim like him along with a slew of enemies-both human and … not.

In the midst of his strange and dangerous struggles, Jeremy also receives the peace and love he’s always longed for but never knew. When called to lead an angelic battle for the truth, will Jeremy cling to the One who can win the war or let his old doubts and fears overtake him?

Fun, danger, friendship, mystery, and faith-along with awesome angels and demons-fill the pages of this exciting book. A must-read for kids (and grownups) craving adventure with a life-changing message.

When Kathryn Dahlstrom’s husband was transferred to Los Angeles, she traded Minnesota’s black-bear country for the inner-city and taught children at a Child Evangelism Fellowship Good News Club in Watts. She also began her writing career. In addition to writing six titles in the Good News Club children’s fiction series published by Child Evangelism Fellowship Press, the author is also a screenwriter and film producer.
Currently, she and her husband, Tim, live on wooded acreage north of Minneapolis/St. Paul where they care for her mother. They also have an adult daughter, Kristina.
I wish to thank Litfuse for including me in this book tour.  It is great to work with Wine Press Publishing once again.  You can check out this tour for yourself at http://litfusegroup.com/author/KDahlstrom 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! You came to talk to me. Thanks.
You know how special that makes me feel?
Like I swallowed the moon and the stars and I just shine now!